If you know what to expect from your hearing test, you can go to your
What is a Hearing Instrument Specialist?
Deciding that you need to visit a hearing instrument specialist can strongly benefit your quality of life, as a hearing aid can help you to gain back a sense of freedom and fulfilment like nothing else can. Each person will have their own individual preferences, and as a result of this, there are many different hearing aids to choose between. Figuring out which hearing aid you need is a very complex process that only an experienced hearing instrument specialist can complete successfully, as they have a vast knowledge of each brand and style to help you to identify the perfect match.
Making an appointment
Upon making an appointment at your local hearing care center, your hearing instrument specialist will assess your hearing loss by performing several different tests. A hearing test is critical in determining what kind of device will be most beneficial to your hearing loss. Additionally, your hearing instrument specialist will talk to you about any lifestyle factors that may be impacting your hearing ability, whether it’s high levels of noise exposure or simply part of the aging process.
They will then use your results to find the right hearing aid for you, which may consist of one of these three common styles:
- In the ear (ITE): ITE hearing aids are worn in the outer ear bowl and come in several colors, including hair and skin tones. They are medium in size and can be used to treat mild-to-moderately-severe hearing loss.
- Behind the ear (BTE): BTE devices are one of the larger-sized hearing aids, although they do come in mini varieties to offer more discreetness. They are easy to handle and are recommended for individuals with mild-to-profound hearing loss.
- In the canal (ITC): ITC hearing aids offer the wearer the most privacy and are worn in the ear canal. They provide a natural listening experience and are suitable for individuals with mild-to-moderate hearing loss.
Hearing instrument specialists are committed to improving the lives of those who experience hearing loss and related conditions, so if you think that you could benefit from a hearing aid then there's no time like the present to book an appointment. If you work in an environment that boasts an excess of noise pollution such as a concert venue or factory floor, are over the age of 60 or have suffered from a severe ear infection, a hearing aid specialist might just be able to provide you with the clarity you've been searching for. There are several easy ways to find a hearing instrument specialist in your area, including:
- Internet search for ‘hearing instrument specialist’ in your city
- Asking family and friends
- Physician referral
A hearing aid can transform your life for the better, as there's so much advanced technology in such a small device. Hearing aids should also be very comfortable inside your ear, as you may often forget that it's even there! A hearing instrument specialist will make sure you find a comfortable fit, no matter what shape or size your ear may be.